934 J St.
Davis, CA 95616
University of California, Davis, content strategist
Responsible for telling stories in a multitude of ways across many platforms about accomplishments in humanities, arts, cultural studies at UC Davis.
– maintain ongoing communication with faculty, students and administrators to keep abreast of programs, research accomplishments and events
– disseminate news through releases, pitches, videos and social media posting to campus, wider community, and local, regional, national and international media
– arrange interviews with the media and assist media in on-campus visits
– advise faculty and students on interacting with media
– coordinate and assist with photo and video shoots
– collaborate with website and social media managers
– track media coverage
PRforArts, media relations consultant
Developed and executed public relations programs for organizations including the Southeastern Piano Festival, the Columbia Classical Ballet and the University of South Carolina Symphony Orchestra.
– created media plans with timetables of production and strategic distribution of press and marketing materials, website content, and media events in collaboration with executive and artistic directors, board members, designers, website administrators
– produced engaging and intelligent content for print and online outlets including social media
– arranged interviews, photography and video shoots; organized press conferences; served as spokesperson in interviews; created social media postings
– facilitated partnerships among arts groups and coordinated joint public relations efforts
– advised on advertising purchases and placement and negotiated rates
March 2011 – March 2014
Wrote news, features, criticism and essays on the arts.
– contributed to Jasper Magazine, Charleston Magazine, ArtSee, Ceramics and Hampton III Gallery, Columbia Art Museum, University of South Carolina and Morris Museum of Art publications
– served as Spoleto Festival USA critic-at-large for Charleston City Paper attending and writing about 50 performances over 17 days in print and online
March 2011 – March 2014.
Art exhibition curator
Organized art exhibitions and adjacent programing and promotions.
– selected artists and collaborated with them on conceptual process
– teamed with art organizations, community groups, governmental agencies and property owners
– produced press and marketing materials, including brochures, website and social media postings
– managed budget
– arranged and presented art talks, tours, panel discussions, concerts and readings
– served as public spokesperson in media
March 2011 – March 2014.
University of South Carolina Arts Institute, public relations coordinator
Promoted Arts Institute’s multidisciplinary programs and university-wide arts.
– wrote and distributed press releases for Arts Institute, created website content and collaborated with designers on marketing materials
– created and circulated weekly cultural affairs electronic newsletter producing written content, coordinating and collecting visuals; took photos for newsletter and other outlets; maintained and promoted Institute’s Facebook page; built out newsletter and Facebook reach
– regularly communicated with and interviewed faculty, staff and students in arts and humanities divisions of the university to promote academic programs and events
– sustained contact with media and organized coverage for Arts Institute and university arts programs
March 2010 – March 2011
undefined magazine, associate editor
Oversaw all aspects of bi-monthly arts magazine.
– developed story ideas, created story budgets and did long-term planning
– wrote and edited stories
– oversaw photo shoots, design and production
March 2010 – March 2011
Carolina Culture by Jeffrey Day
Created, wrote, designed and marketed blog about the visual arts, theater, classical music and arts issues.
– wrote news, feature stories, commentary and criticism and maintained calendar
– promoted blog through social media and email
– secured funding through advertising
March 2009 – March 2010
The State, Columbia, S.C., arts writer
Lead arts writer for South Carolina’s largest newspaper responsible for covering a wide range of art organizations and artists, balancing long-term in-depth and shorter pieces with fast turnaround.
– covered multiple museums, art galleries, music, dance and theater organizations, including many university and college groups, producing stories on events, people, trends and funding, censorship and personnel issues
– maintained on-going formal and informal contact and interviewed museum, gallery, dance, music and theater executive and artistic directors, curators, artists, funders, board members, audience members and city, county and state governmental officials
– collaborated with writers, editors, photographers and designers established coverage priorities, tone and appearance of various products
July 1989 – March 2009
Columbia University, New York. Studied art history, studio art and fiction writing as a fellow of the National Arts Journalism program
University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC. Graduate and undergraduate art history studies
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL. Bachelor of Arts with honors.
National Endowment for the Arts Classical Music Fellowship
Columbia University/Mondriaan Foundation-sponsored trip to The Netherlands
National Arts Journalism Fellowship
S.C. Arts Commission Fiction Project short story award
S.C. Press Association and Georgia Press Association awards.